Monday, March 26, 2007

Post weekend update

Sasha came home on Saturday, still dopey from surgery. We spent the morning with her and crated her alongside the other kerpupples while we went out for a few hours. She wasn't eating much and slept alot.

Yesterday morning I took all three kerpupples for a walk. Sasha is remarkably easy on a leash.

Sasha slept most of the day yesterday and wouldn't eat anything except a few small bites of ham. She had a couple of accidents in the house, but was very good about finishing up outside when we caught her in the act. Everything was very runny. She was lethargic - not at all the dog who bounded into our house last weekend to cruise countertops and play with our other dogs.

Last night we crated her for bed. I awoke about 3 1/2 hours later to find that she'd somehow escaped from her crate and had another accident. Poor baby.

I slept on the couch for the remainder of the night with her on the floor by my side. I held her leash while I slept so that if she got up to go again I'd wake up and could take her out.

This morning we were very worried about her not eating so I took her to the vet. No disease that they could find, thank goodness. She's dehydrated, so they are keeping her today on an IV in hopes that it will also help her appetite.

The vet said that she was likely purebred Siberian Husky, about a year old. Oh, and it's the sweetest thing - she follows me around everywhere. The crush appears to be mutual.

I'll post pictures as soon as she's home and feeling better.

On the social front, I went to a newly-formed cooking club last night. The theme was Jamaican (hey cat, shall I post some recipes to whet your appetite?). I thought I was awfully clever by deciding to bring fried plantains. Little did I know that the other person bringing a side dish thought the same thing. Combined with a banana dessert, we all got our share (and then some) of starch.

4 comments:

justacoolcat said...

I hope your new puppy is ok. I had a Siberian Husky when I was younger. He was skittish, but very sweet.

I say post the recipes. Check out cho-cho as an ingredient. Yum!

I think it's funny most Americans think of Jamaica food as hot, but often in Jamaica it really isn't even spicy.

Slave to the dogs said...

Thanks cat. I just called the vet, and they said she's doing better already.

I dunno what cho-cho is but I'm all for trying exotic sounding things.

I'm with you re: Jamaican and hot. I'm a lover of hot food, and Jamaican doesn't qualify in my book, but it sure is a tasty sort of spicy.

Tanya Espanya said...

I'm sad your new puppy is a bit under the weather, but she'll be fine soon, I'm sure. It's so great she met your family!

And bring on any food, the spicier the better...Wait, am I supposed to make something? I can only eat!

Slave to the dogs said...

Well Tanya - I can't say it would keep if I tried to make it and send it to you. Maybe you can recruit Rowbear to cook?