Thursday, November 30, 2006

Word of the day

In case you didn't gather from the name of my blog (derived from the glorious "kerfuffle" in describing my two pooches), I like to make up words.

This morning on my way to work I came up with a real gem. While driving through an intersection on a busy road, I noticed what appeared at first glance to be a school bus that had broken down on the side of the road. But further examination revealed that it had gotten halfway around the corner to be held up by not only a stopped school bus in front of it headed in the same direction, but by another going the opposite direction that was boarding children. This seemed odd, as there was not a school in sight. And to top it all off, just past the intersection a city bus was also stopped to allow members of its herd to disembark.

It was a perfect busterfuck.

So I started gnawing on the classification of busterfucks. The most common type, I suspect, would be a homobusenous busterfuck. This would be where the buses all serve the same purpose and population, such as a school bus or a touring coach. I felt truly lucky then, to have sighted a multibustural busterfuck.

One doesn't often have the opportunity to observe busterfucks. I haven't ridden any sort of bus regularly since middle school, but even back then they seemed to move through the school parking lot in a mostly orderly and systematic fashion.

I suspect that Chelene could possibly see a busterfuck should she choose to venture over to the Port Authority bus terminal, as scary a place as any I've ever been. More concerning than the buses, though would be the patrons (and I use this term very loosely) of the bus terminal.

2 comments:

chelene said...

I love this word. I see the touring coach busterfuck every damn day. Every morning the tourists get up at the crack of dawn and line up across the street from my office so they can sit on their asses staring instead of walking and experiencing.

Slave to the dogs said...

The only point I see in those tourbuses is to pick out the sights I'd want to go back to and spend lots of time at and rule out the ones I might want to skip. We did that in London. But...New York is such a walkable city, so I see your point.