Monday, November 06, 2006

How dare they

I'm one of those slightly demented animal lovers who doesn't blink an eye when a person dies in a movie, but if an animal even gets injured, I can't turn off the waterworks to save my life. Which is why this story about dead orangutans in Indonesia enrages me to no end. People killed the poor creatures as they were fleeing? Why? So they wouldn't eat their likely-to-be-destroyed-anyway crops? Acts that show such an utter lack of compassion never cease to amaze and horrify me.

On the bright side, my company was looking to purchase a paper production company in Indonesia earlier this year to help combat spiraling paper costs, but backed out of it. This is the most environmentally friendly place I've ever worked at, so I'd like to think that this as well as the slash-and-burn farming tactics used there contributed to that decision. Purse strings are overwhelmingly tight here at the moment, but I'm all for it if it helps combat such travesties.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I guess your children will never watch Bambi.

Slave to the dogs said...

No prophet, Bambi is one of my faves. Death from the fire is tragic, but what really bothers me is the way the people killed the orangutans as they fled. I really don't think they were doing it for humanitarian reasons.